There are several different types of area rugs that are available, so how can you determine which one will work best in your home? Here are some helpful tips to remember when choosing area rugs for the home.
- The first thing that you need to do before you even try to choose the best possible area rug for a certain location in your home is determine how much traffic the location will get.High-traffic areas are going to get worn down much quicker and you may want to invest in a rug of higher quality that is more durable for this location. If it is a low-traffic area of the home, then you can depend more on your style taste and not so much about the quality and make of the area rug.
- Decide if the area rug is going to be the room’s focal point. If you want to use the rug as the focal point, then opt for one that has a design or pattern on it, to draw the eye to the rug. If you simply want an area rug to be in the background of the room, then choose a plain color rug or one with a very simple design.
- Other things that you may want to take into consideration are if you have pets or children. Pets can do really damage to area rugs, especially if they decide to make the rug their home. Think about buying area rugs that are stain resistant if you have children or pets.
- Always determine your budget before you even start shopping for the area rug. These types of décor items come in a wide variety of prices and you don’t want to overspend on a simple area rug. You can find some rugs for under $50 while high quality area rugs will set you back at least a few thousand dollars.
- If you are on a limited budget, then you may want to look for synthetic area rugs. You can tell if an area rug is synthetic if you look at the back of the rug and the fibers are not hand-knotted but instead are simply punched through just like carpets.
Although synthetic rugs won’t last as long as true wool rugs, they are much less expensive. If you have to replace them every other year, you can have a new style rug for that location and not have to spend that much money.
- When determining how large the area rug has to be, make sure that you are leaving space between the rug and the walls. You don’t want to have an area rug that juts right up against the walls in the room. Instead, there should be an even border on all sides between the rug and the wall.For example, if you want a rug for under your dining room table, measure an additional 4-5 inches out from the table on each side. This will ensure that there is enough room for the chairs to fit on the rug, but will also ensure that you have an even border around the walls of the room.
Area rugs can make a great addition to many different rooms in the home as long as you know what to look for and how to pick out the perfect rug for your home.